Family Recovery Programs and Therapy Sessions
Addiction has a seismic impact—yet not just on the individual who struggles with drug or alcohol addiction. Most often with everyone in their immediate orbit. This includes families, first and foremost. Indeed, any struggle with substance abuse is guaranteed to have an adverse impact on others. Most often on spouses, children, parents, and other close loved ones. It often comes to the point that many families are broken almost beyond repair. Almost always due to issues stemming from drug and /or alcohol addiction. This is where our family recovery programs come in.
There is hope for reconciliation and for healing, yet these things are hard to come by. Addiction tends to overshadow some of the problems that exist just below the surface, making true understanding elusive. As such, family recovery services can play the vital role of facilitating communication, empathy, and transformative love.
Get Real Recovery is pleased to offer these family recovery programs, and to help families—not just individuals—find wholeness again.
Substance Abuse and its Effects on the Family
The ill effects of addiction are numerous; though no two families are impacted in exactly the same way, some of the more common effects include:
- Financial instability. A family member may be wary of theft as the individual with addiction seeks ways to fund his or her substance abuse.
- Isolation and withdrawal. Those who suffer with addiction are more inclined to withdraw from relationships, which can be painful for those around them.
- Enabling. Some family members may actually enable the destructive and addictive behavior, leading to its own set of issues—including guilt.
- Codependency. Those with addiction need people to take care of them, while family members may get their sense of worth from this caregiving capacity.
- Broken trust. Addition will always entail secrecy and lies—and when trust is shattered, it is very hard to piece it back together.
- Ongoing effects. Addiction can impact a family over the course of many generations, with issues related to role modeling, trust, normative behavior, etc.
The bottom line for families is that addiction never impacts just one person—but the right family recovery program can help the healing process to begin.
Take a Peak at our Facilities
Detaching with Love, Not Control
Critically, there are a number of ways to deal with these family problems—and not all of them are healthy. One extreme is to enable, which only feeds addiction and deepens the pain felt by the whole family. The opposite extreme is to try to resolve these issues forcibly, without the proper empathy, compassion, or therapeutic mindset.
Simply put, it is important to be understanding when dealing with a loved one who has an addiction. Although, this can be difficult when you feel hurt, betrayed, or vulnerable. That’s where the family recovery programs offered by Get Real Recovery become invaluable.
Dealing with Your Family Member’s Recovery Needs Through Get Real Recovery
The goal of our program is to bring healing to the whole family—and to promote understanding and compassion throughout the recovery process. The scope of these family recovery services varies according to each family’s needs: We offer both a monthly family educational group as well as individual family sessions, as needed.
No matter how badly your family has been hurt by addiction, and no matter how tough the recovery journey can seem, you always have allies at Get Real Recovery. We are here to provide the emotional support and the therapeutic tools you need to pick up the pieces for your family, and to ensure hope, wholeness, and healing—not just for the person with the addiction, but for everyone.
Family Programs meet on the First Tuesday of each Month.
RSVP REQUIRED by email to email@example.com
Southern California Addiction Treatment Programs
Get Real Recovery offers full continuum of care including: detox, residential- inpatient, and four levels of outpatient services. We understand that every client and family is different.